Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tag, I'm It. Damn.

And thanks for the award!



This is actually my first tag, ever. Thank you, Sparx! I didn't know what to think, but things turned out to be quite fitting actually!

This is how it goes:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

At it were, our growing library of books is straight behind me. I first reached out and picked Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller. Alas, it is the Danish version so I think I'll spare you.

The second book I reached out and grabbed was, and I shit you not, Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour, by Kate Fox. This is fitting on several levels. The gal who tagged me happens to live in London, which makes her sort of English, although there are French and Canadian elements about her that affect the equation. Not having actually met her yet, I can't quite know for sure exactly how the outcome is!

Also, Elijah from San Francisco is actually on her way to London, right now! And Mikael is actually also on his way over there on Thursday so he can have a brief visit with her! So this is very fitting indeed, and I have no doubt that the passage from the book I am about to relay to you will come in handy. The book is a kind of anthropological look at the English, and I must admit I've only read snippets of it since it can be a quite dry read at times (although the English are absolutely FASCINATING).

Here goes:

"Some traces of this upper-class squeamishness about house-display have trickled down, at least to the middle classes: they may indulge in a bit of showing-off of conservatories and so on, but there are often hints of awkwardness or embarrassment. They will lead you to their new pride-and-joy kitchen, but will then attempt to appear dismissive or indifferent about it, making modest, self-effacing remarks such as: "Well, we had to do something- it had got into such a state", damning themselves with faint praise- "At least it's a bit brighter with the skylight"; or focusing on the inevitable difficulties ("nightmares") involved in the refurbishment: "It was supposed to take a week, but we've had plaster and dust and total chaos in here for over a month". Unlike the higher castes, however, these modest middles will not be offended by praise, although it is generally advisable to be vague rather than specific in your compliments."

So there you have it. Be subtle, and you guys will do just fine.

As for tagging others, I think I'll leave it up to those who have a book in reach at the very moment they're reading this. Go!

2 comments:

ubergirlelijah said...

Hilarious! I love this tagged thing...I am going to consider myself tagged...although I can't write the post right now because I'm officially running late (as usual)!! Have a great day!

Jennie said...

Honey, you are sooo tagged. Can't wait to see what you've got for us. Something about vino, perhaps?