Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Nine down, one to go

I've realized something really, really important in this past week that I've been alone with the kids. When you're home alone, never, ever eat lunch naked. Imagine if you were to choke on your lunch, and either end up dead on the kitchen floor, or worse, rush out to knock on the neighbor's door so he could administrate an emergency Heimlich on you. Oh, the shame. Not that that's happened, but the thought has struck me. And I have had a few practice runs on hurling myself against the kitchen counter to see if the force against my diaphragm would be enough to dislodge a piece of pastrami. It's good to be prepared.

Mikael will be home tomorrow evening. Finally. Dante's missed him the most. He just hasn't grasped the whole concept of it. This morning I woke up to Dante randomly hitting me with a clenched fist. He just kept at it, despite my protests, despite my physically removing him from my bed, he just came back and hit harder. So I held him as tightly as I could, immobilising him, until he just cried and cried. When I asked him what was wrong, he just sobbed, "I want my Dad", over and over. Poor kiddo. He's also been really sad when I've taken him to the Kindergarten, not wanting to let go of me at all, afraid I too might leave and not come back. I'm never letting Mikael out of sight again. Ever.

Halfdan on the other hand, is enjoying his nursery so much that I only have to walk through the door with him, and he throws himself into the arms of his minder, yells "bye-bye" and does his little royal wave in my direction without even looking at me. He does appreciate when I come to collect him though, and always rewards me with a hug that can only be likened with the hold an octopus has on it's prey. Good grip, that boy.

Being a "single mom" hasn't been nearly as hard as I feared. It took a few days to come to terms with the fact that I could only be mom and housekeeper while Mikael was away. Studying just wasn't going to happen. But after settling in with the new situation, I quite liked how effective I became, all of a sudden. I'm not sure if this means that I'm usually a lazy cow, or that Mikael does a lot more than I give him credit for. Maybe a little of both.

3 comments:

Kat said...

You are funny - naked lunch? Very good point. I left town for a few days when Colin was about a year old and came home to a very appreciative and humbled man. I'm sure it's easier for us, but still...

Jennie said...

He he. Am already planning my own getaway, so Mikael can have the sole pleasure too. Thing is, how far can I really get, without flying??

Green said...

I totally think about things like that - it's so rare anyone is ever expecting me anywhere these days, that I worry if I fall and hit my head, I'll be dead before anyone notices and sends someone to knock on my door.