Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bennys Badekar

Not having had a Danish upbringing, there are a few childrens' phenomena I've had to do some catching up on. Like Bennys Badekar (Benny's Bathtub). A cartoon movie from 1971 that all Danes around Mikael's age have imprinted in their brains as a quintessential part of their childhood. I told one of the employees and Halfdan's daycare that I'd never seen it, and she just couldn't have it. She lent me her own private copy, and we've watched it pretty much non-stop since. I love it. It's beautiful, the music is lovely, and I love seeing how my kids love it too.

There are a few things I'm sure other people would find objectionable, like this song with naked mermaids. But the song and text is quite charming.



This song is just great. I love the melody; it's so beautiful it almost beings a tear to my eye. Though the drawings are quite simple, I find them just so artistically lovely, and well composed - it's a real visual treat. I wish I'd known about this movie sooner.



Yesterday started out well, then it turned into an absolute jumble. I find myself looking at this movie, and thinking back to the Denmark that once was. It's changed an awful lot. Also in the 13 years I've been here. It's become a hostile environment for free thought, for people coming from the outside in, despite the fact that Denmark boasts of its global prowess, exporting design, beer and whatnot. Denmark has had a tough time adjusting to this change, especially thanks to some specific political parties. They're trying to hold on to a Denmark that no longer is, and a world that no longer is, with a blind eye and an iron grip. I would like to tell them to watch a movie like this if they want nostalgia, and then to keep it out of the parliamentary proceedings.

As Darwin said: “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

On top of the Danish People's Party's antics, my son's Kindergarten is in a state of dissolution. They're letting one of the most brilliant people in child care in Copenhagen slip away. And I've got to stop it. Pulling off my civilian clothing and donning my super hero garb now...

6 comments:

jen said...

oh gosh, I love that mermaid song, the visuals are really beautiful, they move so smoothly. Though it IS a little strange that the mermaids are so "top-heavy" in a childrens movie *g*...
Sorry about the kindergarten, what happened exactly?

Juliet said...

As an immigrant, do you think you are going to have problems the way Denmark is now?

I am curious, too. What happened at the kindergarten?

Jennie said...

As an immigrant, I'm a cheater. I came when I was 17, but I acquired a Danish passport and citizenship through my Danish mother, who has since become an American. So officially, I'm Danish. With an American passport too. MIk wants me to get the boys an American passport too, so they have an easier time going to and fro when they're older, but I don't know about that. Some really intelligent people have been thrown out of this country citing that they have bigger family connections elsewhere than Denmark. Don't want to risk them coming and throwing me out because my kids are American too all of a sudden.

The kindergarten: there was a fusion last year between his, and another kindergarten down the road. The guy running the show is having a break down, people are quitting in droves, and there are hardly any people to actually watch the kids anymore!

June said...

A red polka dotted cape is all you need!

'Babs' said...

Do you need any help?

I am good at rebel rousing.

Jennie said...

@June - check! Sort of.

@Babs - Lol, thanks for the offer. I'm on the forældrebestyrelse of the place, so I*m doing what I can with the others to get this place on track. The worst thing though is . I knew this was going to happen. I even sat at the meetings demanding answers, asking for plans of what was to happen, and the guy totally disenfranchised me, saying that it wasn't the place or time to bring these issiues up. Well, when IS it the right time. Apparently that time has passed. And I was muzzled. Grr.